Saturday, May 31, 2014

First person, Third Person?

I can't sustain an "I" narrative for any length of time.  Not in me.  Soon, the writing is boring and I lose readers.

Character sketches are a strength, so I wrote In Gallup, Greed, almost as a series of character sketches, each one moving the reader closer to the resolution of the crime.

The first chapter is from the point-of-view of Mirage, who wakes up from a blackout to find her brother, Lonnie, stabbed to death.

Second chapter is first person, with Cinnamon, the main detective getting a call.  Then Mirage again, then another character, etc.  I like this, but it was hard to manage the details.  There's not synchronicity, either.  The point-of-view come along as the story develops.

What I wonder is this:  Would it be better to order the point-of-view. For instance, should every other chapter be first person?  Or two and two?

I'm not sure.  I'll experiment on my next book, Gone of Sunday.  I've already got the first few pages in first person.  Now it's time to plan the rest.


#6 in the New Mexico mystery thriller series.

No comments:

Post a Comment