Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review in Publishers Weekly/Book Life goes LIVE!

Getting this review came after a long shot entry into the contest that is getting a review from Publishers Weekly/BookLife....and hoping it is favorable!

I followed the directions on the website and then waited.  After 4 weeks, I was notified by email that I cleared the first round.  After 13 weeks, I was notified that I would be reviewed (with the puzzling caveat that my book might be lost in the shuffle and never reviewed).  For a self-published writer, doing my own publicity, it's hard to get outside reviews, so I'm pretty happy to get this, and happy that it's favorable.  All the reviews on the site follow this format...a lot of description and a one line evaluation.  Some of the one line evaluations are pretty negative, so I'm fine with getting a decent last line.  I can't see using "far from run-of-the-mill" on my cover, but maybe "...distinctive..."  Don't laugh, I might just do that!



Lowe's first novel...features an unusual pair of New Mexican sleuths.  Burro, a schizophrenic, is susceptible to psychotic visions... a gift that comes in handy when he's working on a case with his PI partner, Cinnamon.  Cinnamon uses the income from their investigations... to try to track down the mother who abandoned her decades earlier.  Mirage, who blacked out after a party and woke up to find her brother, Lonnie, stabbed to death, fears she killed Lonnie.  The far from run-of-the-mill leads and Burro's distinctive investigative methods are the books main draw.  (Publishers Weekly/BookLife)

2 comments:

  1. Just finished reading In Gallup, Greed. A good story, but I did notice a few typos, so per your request in the beginning of the book, I'm sharing some of what I saw.
    page 16: 'Just then, you voice sounded like your mom.'
    page 27: 'In this case, a12 year old . . ._ (in addition to spacing, no hyphenation.)
    page 41: . . . the bad parts over . . . (part's)

    There were a few more that careful proofreading might find. Some other issues I noted:

    Use of tell not show speech tags, like 'complained,' 'dismissed,' 'hinted,' 'tossed out,' and 'cooed,' for instance. Almost always better to just use 'said' or in some cases 'asked.'
    In several places the em dash is used like this; ''I didn't go -- what time Jerry came home the first time - that Lonnie was troubled.'
    (In addition to this sentence being confusing, the -- and - construction is a bit off. One way to make an em dash with Word is to type two dashes without a space immediately after a word, start the next word without space, and the system will convert the two dashes into an em dash. At any rate, there should be consistency. Either use full em dash, --, or - at both ends of the phrase. I enjoyed the book, though. You do good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charles ... thanks again for all the help! Got those changes in and a new cover. Am already experiencing increased sales. And, I've hired new editors/proofreaders for my new book coming out in a couple of months.

      Delete