Tuesday, October 1, 2019

A romantic ghost story?

What? You say a graveyard isn't romantic? But this is a ghost story. My great great grandfather is the guy under that tall obelisk, and I remember he had something like four wives. Now, the facts have it that they died in childbirth. Now that was common back then, with childbirth being an extremely dangerous event. And, sadly, one of the babies died of whooping cough, also an extremely dangerous event back then.

But teenage girls like a ghost story, and I had a girlfriend who was descended from one of my great great grandfather's wives. And here's what she heard from her grandmother about that...

Miss Rosa Thornton was the wife in question -- already known to haunt the hallways of my antebellum house in Homeville. (See pic below.)


Miss Rosa haunted the lives of her sisters after her untimely death. The sisters attended church one Sunday and sat next to a woman who introduced herself as "Rosa." They did not recognize their sister, but at one point the woman got up and walked to the altar. No one seemed to notice as Rosa circled the church. She stopped at the sister's pew, leaned down, and whisptered, "I miss you, but I loved another man, and I had had to get away from my husband."

Afterwards, when the sisters asked the other churchgoers, they all said they didn't see any woman at all, much less their sister Rosa. So maybe she was never there, maybe she never had a lover, and maybe she died in childbirth. Either way, we are .... mysterious in New Mexico.


No comments:

Post a Comment